The banking sector is one of the most popular and lucrative career options among young aspirants .The job opportunity in the Banking sector is growing exponentially in last few years due to issuance of new licences and efforts being made by the RBI and the Government to expand financial services into rural areas. Many of Public Sector banks would need to hire fresh talent in the wake of nearly half of their workforce is expected to retire in the next few years.
The recruitment of Probationary Officer/ Management Trainee exam is mainly conducted by some major bank test conducting agencies i.e. IBPS, SBI and ICICI Bank. More than 12 lakh aspirants generally appear for the Bank PO exam conducted by these agencies.
A person who is newly recruited as an officer will be under probation period for at least 2 years called probationary officer and the actual designation could be assistant manager. During this phase, he/ she undergoes training & performs the allotted work like service customers, bring new business, handle cash, payment clearances, report verification, official communication etc. Graduates fresh out of college & those without any experience in banking field who wish for a career in banks have to either join as PO. Bank PO salary can be 40 to 50K.
Pattern of Bank PO exam:
The IBPS and SBI both conduct Probationary Officer/ Management Trainee exam in two tiers:Preliminary and Mains .Candidates who qualify in preliminary examination and shortlisted will have to appear in Main examination. The short listed candidates in main examination will subsequently be called for Interview.
Prelims Exam pattern of IBPS and SBI:
|Name of tests||No. of questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|English Language||30||30||Composite time of 1 hour|
The structure of the IBPS PO Mains Examination:
|Name of tests||NO. of question||Maximum Marks||Duration|
Composite time of 2 hours
|General Awareness(with special reference to Banking Industry)||40||40|
Candidates will be required to clear a cut-off in each area to qualify for the phase II examination (Mains).
The structure of the SBI PO Mains Examination
Phase II (Main Examination): Main Examination will consist of Objective Tests for 200 marksand Descriptive Test for 50 marks. Both the Objective and Descriptive Tests will be online.
(i) Objective Test: The Objective Test of 2 hour duration consists of 4 Sections with 50 marks each (Total 200 marks) as follows:
• Test of English Language (Grammar, Vocabulary, Comprehension etc.)
• Test of General Awareness, Marketing &Computers
• Test of Data Analysis & Interpretation
• Test of Reasoning (High Level)
Note: The candidates are required to qualify in each of the Tests by securing passing marks, to be decided by the Bank.
Phase – III: Group Discussion (20 marks) & Interview (30 marks):
ICICI Manipal Probationary Officer Programme:
Probationary Offer Training Program is an initiative of ICICI Bank in partnership with Manipal University, Probationary Officer programme aims to attract young talent who wish to pursue a career in banking. It is a vocational training programme designed to develop a pool of first level managers with banking knowledge and required skill-sets to perform efficiently in their day to day activities.
- One year full time residential programme conducted at ICICI Manipal Academy campus, Bangalore including dual internship at ICICI Bank
- The programme focuses on balanced approach of providing inputs comprising of relevant knowledge, developing deep banking skills and shaping required behaviors
- The training imparts knowledge and skills in core banking areas like banking products, processes, systems, regulations and compliance frameworks involved in day to day operations
- With more than thousand real-life case studies on service, sales and compliance themes interwoven in the course curriculum, the new curriculum lays greater emphasis on skill building of the Probationary Officers so as to enable them to deliver productivity from day one
- Innovative pedagogy tools such as Co-teaching attempt to enrich the end-to-end learning experience of the trainees
- The faculty is regularly trained not only by experts from ICICI Bank but also by experts from leading foreign universities
- State-of-the-art Infrastructure with Computer Lab facility and a Simulator Branch & Processing Centre for experiential learning
- The students have the opportunity to specialize in different areas of retail banking
- On successful completion of the programme, students are absorbed in ICICI Bank as frontline managers in Deputy Manager Band I grade
- A cashless bridge in the form of a loan is provided to all participants to fund the cost of the programme
- A monthly stipend is paid to students both during campus terms & internship
- After completion of the above programme, participants have the option of enrolling in MBA
- (Banking and Finance) with Manipal University*
- More than 14,000 students have been associated with the programme and more than 12,000 students have since graduated from the programme
The programme structure is as follows:
- Term 1 (4 months) – Classroom training at IMA, Bangalore
- Term 2 (2 months) – Internship at ICICI Bank
- Term 3 (2 months) – Classroom training at IMA, Bangalore
- Term 4 (4 months) – Internship at ICICI Bank
- Those who have completed graduation with 55% (Aggregate) marks in any discipline.
- Up to 25 years of age as on 30th June 2016 (Should have been born on or after 30th June 1991).
- Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for the selection process
The above will be considered as the threshold criteria for shortlisting.
Selection Process and Fees of the Training Programme
The selection process for Probationary Officer will consists of
- Online Aptitude test
- Online Psychometric Assessment
- Case-based Group Discussion (GD)