Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service Group ‘A’ (IP&TAFS Gr. ‘A’) was constituted in 1973. This is an organized Accounts & Finance Service and caters to Department of Telecom & Department of Posts. IP&T AFS Gr.’A” carries with it a definite liability for posting in any part of India. Most of the posts are at Capital Cities.
The members of the service are recruited through Civil Service Examinations conducted by UPSC or by promotion from the feeder grade of Group ‘B’ of P&T Accounts and Finance Service.
Candidates appointed to the service through the Civil Service Examination shall be on probation for a period of two years and shall attend such Training and undergo such examination/tests as may be prescribed from time to time in various training centers as decided by the Cadre Controlling Authority. The indicative training for probationers is as follows:-
- Foundation Course : DOPT designated institution 16 days
- Professional Training Course: National Institute of Finance Management, Faridabad 44 weeks
- Department Training: National Institute of Communication Finance, Ghitorni, New Delhi 36 weeks
Besides, the officers also undergo various Inservice as well as Mid Career Trainings from time to time so as to enhance their skills and personality.
BRIEF OF DUTIES PERFORMED BY THE OFFICERS OF IP&T AFS GR.’A’ :-
(i) Assessment and Collection of License fee and Spectrum usage charges paid by Telecom Licencers. (ii) Spectrum Auction. (iii) Policy making in Department of Telecommunications and Department of Posts.
(iv) Financial Management of Department of Posts and Department of Telecommunications. (v) Internal Audit of Department of Telecommunications and Department of Posts. (vi) Accounting of Department of Posts and Department of Telecommunications. (vii) Pension Management of DoT, DoP, BSNL and MTNL. (viii) Human Resourse Development and Capacity Building of IP&TAFS, Gr.’A”.
Appointments to other Organizations/Bodies.
Besides IP&T AFS, Gr.’A” officers can be appointed on deputation to Central Government, State Governments, Central Staffing Scheme, Autonomous Organizations/ Subordinate Organizations, PSUs and UN Organizations/International Organizations like world Bank, Asian Development Bank in various capacities.
The entry in the service is at Junior Time Scale in the pay-scale PB-3 Rs. 15600-39100+ Grade Pay of Rs. 5400/-) with further promotion up to the level of Junior Administrative Grade (NFSG) within span of 13 years of the service. At present the highest grade in the cadre is HAG+ in the scale of pay of Rs. 75500-80000. The hierarchy of the posts in the IP&T AFS, Gr.’A” their pay scale & minimum span of service for promotion is mentioned below:-
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Foreign Service
- Indian Police Service
- Indian P&T Accounts & Finance Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Audit & Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Customs & Central Excise Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Revenue Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Postal Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group ‘A’
- Posts of Assistant Security Officer in Railway Protection Force, Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Information Service, (Junior Grade), Group ‘A’
- Indian Trade Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group ‘A’
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group ‘B’
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, D D & NH Civil Service, Group ‘B’
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, D D & NH Police Service, Group ‘B’
- Pondicherry Civil Service, Group ‘B’
- Pondicherry Police Service, Group ‘B